Tuesday, November 18, 2008

I need Africa more than Africa needs me.

“I need Africa more than Africa needs me.” This statement could open the eyes of so many people; as it definitely did for me. I never realized how true that statement was until I started thinking about it. My best friend Stephanie went to Africa for a whole summer one year, she stayed with nuns who had been there serving for many, many years, and when she came back she was glowing with love. She came back telling me stories of how every single child that she took care of her touched her in a way no one else had ever done.
Stephanie started sharing her photos, which she had taken, with me. She told me that the children there loved having their picture taken. As I looked at the pictures I felt immense warmth. I can’t even begin to think what I would have felt actually being around these children, but as I looked at the photos I got teary eyed, thinking of how wonderful these children must be. If by just looking at these photos I became overwhelmed with joy, it must be amazing to be around these people. So by my experience I would have to say that “I need Africa more than Africa needs me”.

No comments: